Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cultural Differences & Adaptations

I have only been in London for about a week and I am barely getting accustomed to the cultural differences. To be a true Londoner, there are some things you must do. You should: jaywalk whenever it is convenient, jump onto the metro right before the doors close, avoid speaking to anyone on the tube, wear a scarf everyday and do not tip in a restaurant. So far, I have done all of these things. It was difficult but most of it makes sense once I learned the reasons behind each.
Jaywalking is perfectly legal, therefore it’s culturally accepted. Who doesn’t secretly love to jaywalk? Jumping on a metro is sometimes necessary if one is in a rush. It’s like speeding up on a yellow light, not recommended but everybody does it to get to work on time. If you speak to somebody while using public transport, it’s not “cool.” Most people ignore everyone and just relax on the tube and the bus. This was hard for me to do because I love to talk. But I’m proud to say I have adapted! Wearing a scarf is very important. Not only is it a fashion statement, but it is practical. I used to go out without one, but not anymore. When the temperature hovers above freezing, a scarf can help keep your head and face warm. I do not tip anymore. It’s kind of liberating. There is a real reason behind this. Waiters and waitresses are paid much more than in America, so they give mediocre service. They don’t expect tips and it is customary to leave no tip. Plus, the food costs so much, they are making money off the customer already.
Although these customs may seem weird and surprising, once aware of the cultural expectations, it isn’t too difficult to fit in. I have been doing things here that I never expected I would. For the first time, I looked right then left when I crossed the road. It is becoming an everyday sight for cars to be going down the wrong side of the road. I dislike doing laundry here even more than I did at home. Most homes do not have dryers, so everything is line-dried or carried to the local Laundromat. And to go to the store, you actually use your feet and do something most Americans don’t do—WALK. That’s one of the biggest differences…. We walk everywhere here. My job is about a 20 minute walk from my school. The local grocery store is about a 15 minute walk from home. Sightseeing is best done on foot through the city.
I have done some touristy things too. I climbed up on the huge lions in Trafalgar Square. They say most tourists die from climbing those! I was fortunate J I also visited Stonehenge. It was an unforgettable experience. When I saw it first from the bus, my heart leaped up. It was mind-blowing to think that I would be seeing something that I had only read about and seen pictures of. Standing out there in the middle of nowhere, next to this ancient stone structure is when it first hit me that I’m in a different country. I know it seems silly, but it took awhile to actually sink in. Now that it has, I’m even more excited than I was before I left! I can’t wait to have more adventures around London.

No comments:

Post a Comment