Thursday, January 13, 2011

Paris –Day 2–

Today the weather got colder. But this was the perfect morning for a bus tour of the city. We were taken on a guided bus tour with a British tour guide. Her name was Janice and she was very funny and interesting! I enjoyed hearing her funny jokes. The bus was the best way to tour the city on a cloudy and slightly rainy day: we could see everything from the windows and got great pictures without going out in the cold and walking everywhere. We also got out of the bus to take pictures in two places with a good view of the Eiffel Tower. Outside there were lots of crazy peddler guys. I was told by the guide that they were mostly from African families and tried to make money off the tourists. I didn’t know we could haggle so I got ripped off bad from the first guy when I bought some Eiffel Tower key-chains. L But the next guy that I bought postcards from was really nice to me, so I complained to him about the rip off. He was so good to me! He marched right up to the other guy and reprimanded him in their native tongue and the guy sheepishly passed me 7 more and then a different guy handed me 5 more also. I felt rich in Eiffel Tower key-chains! Those guys were insane. They would do anything, from saying “I love you” to handing you something and then not taking it back, in order to sell their products. I was glad to say “au revoir” to them!
            I had my first crepe ever from a street vendor in front of the Eiffel Tower. It was yummy! I also saw the insides of two of the grandest cathedrals I have ever seen—Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur. It was a wonderful experience. We had to walk all the way up a giant hill to get to the Sacre Coeur but it was worth it. The view was awe-inspiring! You could see almost all of Paris including the Eiffel Tower from there. The video that I posted was of the nightlife outside of the Sacre Coeur. As I was walking back down to the city, there was a mini market set up for people to buy various things such as paintings. The accordion player really made my last evening in Paris special. Overall, it was a perfect Parisian day.

No comments:

Post a Comment