Saturday, January 15, 2011

Relaxation in Bruges

We had a lot of free time in Bruges in the morning to do whatever we wanted. I took advantage of this. I woke up early at 7 am and was out before the sun was up! I walked about a block down the street to a little bakery and bought a little treat for later. When I ate it later, it was actually a small piece of cake decorated in very thick edible frosting that was shaped like a wrapped present. It was lovely to look at and yummy to eat. I wanted to buy new boots because mine hadn’t dried during the night. I wandered into a second hand store and the lady was really friendly. She only had one pair of boots in my size and they fit great. She also said they were waterproof. I bought them for 35 Euro, which was a good deal. They kept my feet comfortable, stylish and shielded from rain puddles.
            I ended up spending most of the day in Bruges with a girl I met on the pre-tour. Neither of us had anything particular we wanted to see in Bruges, so we wandered. It’s a very small town so we didn’t get lost at all. We came across an old church and went inside just to look around. It was even colder inside the large church than outside. As I was walking through the church, I noticed a sign that said Michelangelo. There was a statue called “Madonna and Child” by Michelangelo. It wasn’t commissioned for the church it is in; rather it was bought by a wealthy Bruges family and given to the church. I thought it was cool that I stumbled upon one of the few works of Michelangelo that isn’t in Italy.
            Bruges was marvelous. I would go again for a relaxing weekend after the rush of city life.

No comments:

Post a Comment